Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Pinwheels

Today I finally worked on one of my UFOs. I pulled this quilt top out a couple months ago, but that was about all I did with it. Today I started laying the blocks out on the floor to get a view of what order I wanted them, but my puppy decided that he wanted to play with my blocks and just wouldn't let me lay the blocks out at all. So I had to come up with a new way to display them. I remembered reading online about design walls being made out of tablecloths with flannel backs, so I grabbed the only table cloth I owned that had a flannel back and draped it in front of my fireplace. It wasn't quite big enough to fit the whole quilt (the top row didn't fit) but it still was very helpful in getting this top laid out and ready to sew together. It also made me realize that I was 6 blocks short for the outer border, so I worked on those today and added the yellow inner border. Hopefully tomorrow there will be time to finish sewing the rest of the outer border blocks together and complete the top.

5 comments:

  1. I love pinwheels! They are probably my favorite block. Yours look great! ANd great idea about the fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful Leah, i love the colors. I have a question, browsing through your postcards i saw a redwork little victorian girl with hearts for February and one for winter. Is it possible to tell me where these design are from? Thank you
    i always admire your work, very creative
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Leah, that is gorgeous. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look like Eleanor Burns QAID pinwheels! I taught a class on this block some years ago and they are sew much fun to make! Really nice looking once they're done and the bonus - you get two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't sure what the Elanor Burns pinwheels looked like so I googled them, and yes they are very similar to this top. The only difference is that I made one strip shorter than the others when I started sewing them together, so instead of having identical shaped mirror image blocks, I came out with one big center pinwheel block and very small center pinwheel block.

    What inspired me to make this quilt was an image I saw on the internet years ago of a double pinwheel quilt made out of bright yellows. I wasn't sure how to make it so I just fiddled around till I got these blocks. My version isn't quite the same as my inspiration photo since the center of the outer blocks are different sizes than the inner blocks, but I still love the way it turned out.

    ReplyDelete