Thursday, September 9, 2010

Cathedral Window Pin Cushion


My swapping friend from Australia sent me a snail mail yesterday and inside was a sample of a unique way to make a cathedral window using two background colors.


I was memorized by the sample she sent me and just had to make one for myself.  I grabbed three of the closest fabrics I had and got started.   I wasn't even worried about the colors playing nice together because if I screwed up big time I was going to chuck it in the trash and not feel bad.

The scraps I used were from my 1.5 inch bin, so my finished window was 2 inches.  It turned out pretty good, so I decided to totally neglect my house chores and the two rag quilts I am suppose to be making and turned my small cathedral window into a pin cushion.  I picked out the rest of the 1.5 inch squares that matched the top and whipped it together.

I put some peltex on the insides and on the bottom to make those areas stiff.  Then I cut two 2 inch pieces of batting and placed those underneath the top of the window for softness.  Then I stuffed the whole thing with plastic pellets, hand stitched the seam shut, and sat back and admired it.   What a neat way to do cathedral windows.  Thanks Mandy!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Love the pincushion. Well done. Its the easy way to make cathedreal windows

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!!!Love the pincushion. Well done. Its the easy way to make cathedreal windows

    ReplyDelete