Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Quilting A King


A lot of people ask me how I quilt a king size quilt on my home machine, so I thought I would show you all.  This photo was taken near the center of the king size quilt I am currently working on.  I push the whole thing through as I go.  Sometimes it is a tight fit, but I can always maneuver it enough to get a smooth quilting section near the needle.  There is really only a small section that is super tight and as you quilt there is less and less going under the machine so each row gets easier.  In these tight sections, I find that I spend more time shifting the quilt around instead of quilting.  But if you go slow and shift to get a smooth quilting surface then you won't have any puckers on the back.  Another important thing to remember is to have somewhere for the left side of the quilt to sit.  Otherwise it hangs and the weight of it pulls the needle and either breaks it or curves the stitching.  I quilt next to my computer desk and use it as an overflow to catch large quilts such as this one.

Ok, break time is over for me.  I better get back to quilting.
I have this one scheduled to be completed by the end of the week.


=^..^=

3 comments:

  1. oh gosh, good for you! this biggest i have attempted is a twin and that just about did me in. thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I have a table behind my sewing machine and put my ironing board down low on my left side. Now if my arms just didn't get so tired! Beautiful quilt too!
    Quilting by the River

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's going to be just gorgeous! You deserve a break, wow, a king!!! You are getting a total workout! Your arms are going to be ripped! :-)

    ReplyDelete