Thursday, June 6, 2013

America the Beautiful On Display

Here she is... Miss America....  er I mean my America the Beautiful quilt.
It is officially on display at the Hartsville museum for the summer with all the other quilts from my guild,
with the theme "America the Beautiful: Home Sweet Home".
It measures approximately 70 x 47 inches.

To represent America I used several state themed quilt blocks:
Ohio Star, Carolina Lily, Kansas Star, Colorado Beauty, Texas Tears, Road to California, and Oregon Trail.  For the ocean, I used the Storm at Sea Block.  I made each block finish at 6 inches and shaped them to fit the different regions of America.  My two beach sections are crumb pieced with all the brown scraps I had on hand.

For reference, this is the original drawing I used to design the quilt.
The drawing has little houses scattered on it, but I opted to delete those for the final project.


For the past couple weeks I've been showing bits and pieces of the quilt before it was quilted.
Today I am going to show them again, but this time with with the quilting.
And with the lyrics to America the Beautiful, which was the inspiration for the quilt.


"Oh Beautiful for spacial skies...



For amber waves of grain...


For Purple mountains majesty...

Above the fruited plains....

America! America!


God Shed his grace on thee...


And Crown thy good with brotherhood...


From sea to shining sea!"


I am super excited about this quilt.  I love all the colors in it.

I enjoyed making all the different blocks and making them fit in their sections.
On the left in the above photo is the "Road to California" block.
This is the only block that didn't get a preview last week.

Since this post is already loaded with photos, I will save the photos of the other show quilts for tomorrow.

=^..^=


8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness what a fantastic quilt! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so beautiful! It's just plain inspired is what it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely wonderful! Very inspiring and very beautiful. I love the whole quilt. Did you make the pieced parts square and then cut them to the wiggly shaped edges? I have been waiting for the reveal and I was not disappointed. So wonderful, thanks for sharing it with us. Makes me feel very patriotic just looking at it. Great job. K-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This quilt is magnificent. I love your use of state named blocks and your placement of them. I really can see the shape of America. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad to see it won many prizes, well deserved i'd say...inspiring, colorful, patriotic...wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. simply beautiful and inspiring quilt; colorful and innovative, well deserving of so many awards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fabulous! So creative with "America the Beautiful" as your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete